Friday, August 5, 2011

Well...

Hola Familia!
Another week has flown by here in modelo. We've found more people to teach, and we're excited about that, though this past week was a little rough as far as finding new investigators. We're working hard and I'm loving the work. My spanish is of course a work in progress, and I imagine that it will be for all of my life. So good news, on the 19th the 2 missions will have a special meeting with the General authorities that will be coming for the dedication, Elder Eyring and Elder Christofferson. I am really excited for that, also We have permision(and almost orders) to go to all three sessions of the temple dedication on the following sunday, and I am also super excited for that.
SO adventures for this week, on sunday we had a baptism, which was complicated by 2 things that amazingly had nothing to do with Lisandro (the one getting baptised) First, one of the Hermanas dislocated her shoulder puttingon her backpack, she had dislocated it before and hadn't let it heal well, so we had her coming in to the hospital in Santa Ana, where President Cordon was going to meet her, and then it was pouring down rain, which you'd think wouldn't mean anything to a place that always has rain, but for some reason when it rains, no one comes to events, or wants to leave their houses(we wanted to do divisions and I could go to the hospital and Hna Woods could stay at the baptism, but we couldn't find anyone who was willing to leave their house in the rain, which was why president met her at the hospital). We almost couldn't have the baptism because we didn't have the priesthood present to be able to perform the ordinance. Then as we were finally getting ready to start the baptism, President Cordon Called, and said that the hospital in Santa Ana didn't feel confident to put the shoulder back in place so we had to take her to Santa Ana, Luckily we finished the baptism, and we just getting ready to have refreshments when President Cordon came to get us and we headed to San Salvador to the hospital, but the rain had caused an accident on the highway so what would have been a 45 min trip to San Salvador turned out to be a 2 hour trip to san salvador, we got to the hospital, they put the shoulder in, and we brought her back to our house for the night, then she went back to her area the next morning.
Other than that it hasn't been to bad, a few people with amoebas, a person with an ear infection that didn't belive me when I said that antibiotics take more that 12 hours before you can notice that they are working... things like that.
I have been studying about how important it is that we as missionaries invite people to do things. Everytime we invite someone to do something(will you come to church? will you read the book of mormon? will you pray?) we are asking them to change, to sacrifice something they would have done for this better thing, and that really is the basic principle of repentance, a change of a habit or action for a better(holier) habit or action. Also when we invite people to do something we invite them to gain their own testimony. It is when we are being obedient to a principle that we recieve testimony that it is true. Like it says in Malachi about tithing, prove me herewhith that I will open up the windows of heaven and pour out blessings upon you, or something like that, sorry I have only read it in spanish for quite a while. But the key is Prove me herewith. He invites us to keep the commandment of tithing and promises that when we do we will recieve blessings, but not until after we do it.
I love the gospel. I love that it can be so simple, that even a small child can do it, but that there is so much to learn that one could study it for an entire lifetime and still not have learned it all.
We planned for week four yesterday. Crazy I feel like we just started this change, and already we are almost half way through it. I have enjoyed having Hna Woods as my companion, and I just hope that I can learn how to be as great of a missionary and nurse as she is while I'm with her. I feel like I still have so much to learn about everything, and every day I just find more things I just don't know. But I have learned so much up to this point.
I love being a missionary. In our multizona last week one of the Elders that is going home this change said, you just have to learn to love the work, and if you love looking for people and serving people, and teaching the gospel, and you really love the work, even if you have days when you knock every door in a neighborhood and get nothing but rejection, you'll still be having a good day, because you are doing what you love to do. He said that the attitude we have makes a huge difference in the experience you have. The time passes whether you are miserable or just loving every minute. Love it.
Thats all I have time for now.
I love you all so much,
Love Hna Allen

No comments: