Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Hola ya'll, week 5

Greetings from Guatemala for the last week. Monday we head to our missions and I am so excited. I have to focus pretty hard still to understand a lot of people but I am thinking it is becoming a vocabulary issue rather than I just don´t catch the accent. It is good to read your emails and hear how things are going back home. I'm glad you got the quetzals mom I thought they were pretty cool too. it is so weird to me that Q8=$1. So this week was great. I think I told you last week that I´ll get a new mission president in July, President Cordon. When he becomes my president my mission name changes to El Salvador, Santa Anna Belize. He is a worker at the temple right now and a friend of Pres Steimle, so on Tues we got to have a meeting with him and ask him questions about him and his wife and his family and the mission. It was great. He said that one of the goals for our mission for the next 2 years will be to establish a stake in Belize. He said currently Belize has 23 Ramas pero no estacas(23 branches no stakes). He also said that though Belize is bigger in size it has fewer people than all of the mission in ElS. He also said that the people of Belize speak Spanish(some of them) English(some of them) and a blend of the 2(some of them) as well as a whole ton of mayan dialects. It could be interesting! On Monday we got to leave the CCM and get to do some real contacting and tocar la puertas. My comp and I talked to 10 people and got 9 references for the missionaries of this area. It was so amazing. Although I didn´t always understand the language. My Comp, Hna Montalvan is such a great missionary. She told me to not worry about asking for words, because they´ll understand that I´m learning the language and will appreciate it even more for it. So the day after the Steimles got back, One of the Hnas was sick, she threw up and then passed out and was out for about an hour by the time we got her to the ER. They couldn't get wake up pres Steimle so her comps ran panicked into my aula, and my comps and I woke up Pres steimle and called Dr McArthur and one of my comps was a CNA before the mission which down here means she´s a nurse-weird- and she helped me get the vitals to tell the doc so he could tell us what to do. Anyway pres Steimle and Hno Dubon took her to the hospital ER and she was admitted and stayed there for 24 hours and then came back to the CCM. She is just starting to feel better today. The weirdest thing is they don't know why she passed out. On another note, the NA elders are getting a bit stir crazy, yesterday was ´cambien su corbata cada agenda cambiar´ and they changes ties like 7 times. it was weird. they also have ´boot day´' and who knows what else. I am running out of time but real fast I want to tell you that I learned something really cool. Moroni 10 3-5 real intent means that when they get an answer they are willing to act on it. Many don't feel like they get an answer because they don't have any intention of acting on it. We heard an account on mormon.org of a girl who was afraid of getting an answer because she knew she'd have to act on it. Haven't gotten any cartas as of yet, but I'm hopeful for tomorrow. Love y'all tons Mem

No comments: